I love coming home when my pasture looks like this!!
Ok, not at all picking on anyone in particular but i have seen several pictures lately of fields covered in buttercup (those yellow flowers), and I feel the need to educate a bit.
Yes, it is pretty.
NO IT IS NOT PRETTY IN YOUR PASTURE. Buttercup is POISONOUS! And although they won’t eat it when they have other options if that is all they have to eat - aka the entire field is covered like in the pictures I’ve seen - horses will eat the buttercup. And be POISONED! (Also, around where I live a lot of people think that it causes stringhalt)
Moral of the story: buttercup is not pretty in your pasture!
Really? I’ve heard horses can get ‘buttercup burn’ but that not all horses do, but not get poisoned
I could be wrong though, it’s just what I’ve heard, and though I know of horses getting poisoned by ragwort I’ve never heard of one being poisoned by buttercups even though they are far more common in horse’s fields
i shall go forth and google this now
Yes.. Buttercups are poisonous when a horse eats a lot of them. Just be wary!